For about a year now Iain has taken up a new hobby. Bicycling. He actually sold his motorcycle and purchased a decent bike and threw himself into it- shoes, helmet, computer gadgets, and the outfits... well apparently they are very comfortable b/c it certainly isn't a fashion statement he is trying to make. lol! He has been training all winter long on his indoor trainer and more recently has been able to get outside to cycle. A few weeks ago he did his first organized ride with a neighbour of ours. Over 100 kms up and down the hills in Muskoka. It was all leading to this past weekend though. The Ride to Conquer Cancer - Toronto to Niagara Falls - 220 kms in 2 days. He left Saturday morning at 5am, in a thunderstorm, to drive to his departure spot downtown Toronto...it was not looking good as far as the weather was concerned but Iain was still so pumped to do this. By the time he departed at 8am the rain had stopped and he had a dry, comfortable ride into Hamilton - where he spent the night, in a tent, with a stranger, listening to other people in nearby tents talking, snoring and passing gas. LOL! He figures he got about 3 hours of sleep but was up at the crack of dawn to tackle the last 115 kms... unfortunately in the rain.
Sunday morning I got the kids up and we headed into Niagara Falls to greet him at the finish line. We stood there for 2 hours cheering others on as they finished - ready with camera in hand to get a picture of Iain's big moment crossing the finish line. Of course 2 hours later the kids were getting restless and started acting up so I turned my head for a few seconds to let them know I wasn't happy and as I turned back around I just barely saw Iain riding past the finish line... ARGHHHH!! I was so upset! I completely missed the photo opportunity but at least I got to see him finish what he had worked so hard to accomplish. He was so happy to find us and spend the day with the kids and tell us all about his ride. It was a great day and I love that the kids have him to look up to for his ambition and perseverance and his desire to tackle new challenges... because Lord knows those are not my strengths.
I made him pose at the finish line...
He is already talking about doing it again next year! :)